28 Apr PHC update Working Practices Policy during COVID-19
The Port of Poole continues to support supply chains and keep freight flowing at this critical time. We are open for business and continue to review our working practices, implementing new measures when required to keep us aligned with the latest UK Government guidance.
To ensure we remain fully operational, some of our employees have been classified as ‘key workers’ by the UK Government. These include Harbour Masters, Pilots, Managers, Stevedores, Harbour Control Officers and several other key roles, who will all continue to work from home where practical.
Jim Stewart, CEO, Poole Harbour Commissioners said: “To help keep the country moving at this critical time, it is essential we remain open for business and continue to enable the flow of goods through the Port of Poole. We are constantly reviewing our working practices during these unprecedented times. We will continue to monitor and follow guidance from the UK Government, Public Health England and Port Health, amongst others.”
Poole Harbour Commissioners have implemented the following Business Continuity measures to ensure the health, safety and welfare of our workforce, customers, port visitors and their families:
- We have identified vulnerable colleagues, or those caring for vulnerable people and taken action to protect them accordingly.
- We have enabled non-operational colleagues to work from home.
- We are requesting all ships submit a Maritime Declaration of Health (MDH) prior to arrival at the port, including nil returns in accordance with government guidelines.
- We have restructured working arrangements and staggered start times, finish times and breaks so that distances are maintained in staff areas.
- We have increased cleaning in public areas of the Port and increased hand-sanitiser gels and antibacterial wipes in offices and working areas.
- We have deep cleaned and closed meeting rooms and non-essential communal areas. All meetings are currently being conducted by video conference.
- We have cancelled the Poole Harbour Boat Show and postponed larger meetings, including our Annual Open Evening.
- We are relaying the latest advice, and any actions we are taking to our employees on a regular basis.
Our policy remains under constant review as the COVID-19 situation and guidance and develops.
FOR THE LATEST GUIDANCE PLEASE SEE:
HM Government information following the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), including guidance for British people travelling: gov.uk/coronavirus.
Latest NHS advice: NHS.uk/coronavirus.
World Health Organisation:
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.