08 Mar Nominate A Young Person For An Amazing Free Five-Night Sea Voyage With The Ocean Youth Trust South!
Every year, we at Poole Harbour Commissioners (PHC) choose a charity partner for the Poole Harbour Boat Show. For this year’s show, we have decided to partner with Ocean Youth Trust South, and as part of that partnership, we have a very exciting offer for you! Twelve lucky young people will be given the opportunity to take part in a five-night voyage on the training vessel Prolific between the 21st and 26th August 2019. We’re happy to say that entries are now open so get involved today and nominate a young person in Dorset, aged twelve to eighteen, who you think is deserving.
Our Marketing Director for the Boat Show, Tracy Pane, believes this is a fantastic opportunity for a young person that may not usually have access to these kinds of events. Whether you want to nominate someone who’s doing well at school, is a young carer, or someone that deserves a treat, this is an opportunity that anyone can take advantage of. Taking part in this event will be a useful introduction to the marine sector for anyone that gets involved, and opens up a multitude of possibilities for the future.
We look forward to working with our new partner, Ocean Youth Trust South. They provide residential voyages, called ‘Adventure Under Sail’, that act as a personal development opportunity for young people between the ages of twelve and twenty-five. Young people that partake in these voyages sail as active crew members and learn to take on a number of responsibilities. Some of these include:
- Voyage Planning
- Sail Handling
- And More!
These responsibilities help to develop lasting skills that are sure to be of great benefit to these young people’s schools, employers, families and so on. It is because of their ability to offer these opportunities that we believe Ocean Youth Trust South to be the perfect charity partners.
Our own Marina Manager, Kerrie Gray, once benefitted from a similar opportunity while still at school, which had a massive impact on her for the better. She sailed on the John Laing, which is an Ocean Youth Trust ship, and subsequently went on to volunteer for the Tall Ships Youth Trust. After a successful stint in the Royal Navy, Kerrie eventually landed with us at PHC where the sea is still a considerable part of her life.
The experience defined Kerrie’s aspirations and allowed her to find a career on the water. We hope that many of the chosen participants in this event will find a similar sort of inspiration.
It is part of our aim through hosting the Poole Harbour Boat Show to encourage people to get on the water. We feel that this partnership with Ocean Youth Trust South makes way for an excellent opportunity to get children familiar with being on a boat. If you’re interested in entering the competition simply visit www.pooleharbourboatshow.co.uk/getonthewater and fill in the online application form today!
Our fundraising page for Ocean Youth Trust South is now live, and you can donate by visiting it at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pooleboatshow. We will keep you updated on any upcoming fundraiser events that will be taking place throughout the year.
The Poole Harbour Boat Show
The Poole Harbour Boat Show will be taking place between the 7th and 9th June, with the headline sponsor being Sunseeker International. You can find out more about the show itself by visiting the official website at www.pooleharbourboatshow.co.uk.
If you’d like to find out more about Ocean Youth Trust South, visit their website at http://www.oytsouth.org/charity.asp.
We hope you get involved in the competition and look forward to seeing you at the boat show later this year. Good luck!
Competition Terms and Conditions
- Open to young people age 12 – 18 years old (at the time of the trip).
- The entries will be judged by a panel. The panel will select whom they feel are the most deserving, regardless of the number of nominations received.
- Nominations close at 11.59pm on Friday 3rd May 2019.
- Voyage dates are non-negotiable.
- Individuals must be available to sail from Brixham to Poole between the 21st and 26th of August 2019.
- Selected participants would need to be willing to be available for promotional activities around the Poole Harbour Boat Show and the Ocean Youth Trust Voyage.
- The prize is non-transferable and has no monetary value.
- Selected participants must adhere to the Ocean Youth Trust South’s T&C’s found here: http://www.oytsouth.org/default.asp.
- Permissions from parents/guardians will be needed for participation in the voyage.
- Selected participants will be required to fill in an Ocean Youth Trust South booking form before a place on the voyage can be confirmed.